Audi Sport ABT’s Lucas di Grassi has set the fastest time of Formula E’s second day of pre-season testing at Donington Park.
Lucas di Grassi had the benefit of being able to use both of his team’s Spark-Renault SRT 01Es, as his teammate Daniel Abt was away competing at the British Grand Prix-supporting GP2 races.
As such, he was able to maximise his running and try out a variety of power settings.
Di Grassi, who usually competes for Audi Sport ABT’s sister team in the FIA World Endurance Championship, was marginally quicker than fellow ex-F1 racer Sebastien Buemi (e.dams) with a 1m31.973s. The fastest time set on the previous day of testing had been Buemi’s 1m35.475s.
With Nick Heidfeld (Venturi), Scott Speed (Andretti Autosport) and Bruno Senna (Mahindra Racing) coming third, fourth and fifth respectively, F1 veterans were evidently the fastest runners of the day.
Lap times were considerably quicker on Friday than on Thursday due to a temporary chicane on the exit of the Old Hairpin being removed after Jarno Trulli (TrulliGP), Karun Chandhok (Mahindra Racing) and Antonio Garcia (China Racing) all made contact with the tyre barriers that formed it.
Unlike Thursday’s testing, which saw large differences in laptimes across the grid, the top 16 cars were all lapping within five seconds of each other.
FULL TEST RESULTS – FRIDAY (without chicane)
1. Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport Abt, 1:31.973s
2. Sebastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, 1:32.089s
3. Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, 1:32.373s
4. Scott Speed, Andretti Autosport, 1:32.632s
5. Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, 1:32.960s
6. Antonio Garcia, China Racing, 1:32.966s
7. Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, 1:33.040s
8. Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, 1:33.072s
9. Jerome d’Ambrosio, China Racing, 1:33.178s
10. Jarno Trulli, Trulli, 1:33.299s
11. Franck Montagny, Andretti Autosport, 1:33.754s
12. Fabio Leimer, Amlin Aguri, 1:33.792s
13. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, 1:34.006s
14. Katherine Legge, Amlin Aguri, 1:34.071s
15. Michela Cerruti, Trulli, 1:36.064s
16. Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, 1:36.962s
17. Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, 1:37.415s
18. Oriol Servia, Dragon Racing, 1:43.239s
19. Mike Conway, Dragon Racing, 1:44.698s
FULL TEST RESULTS – THURSDAY (with chicane)
1. Sebastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, 1:35.475
2. Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport ABT, +0.537
3. Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, +0.895
4. Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, +0.910
5. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, +1.223
6. Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, +1.232
7. Jarno Trulli, Trulli, +1.494
8. Daniel Abt, Audi Sport ABT, +1.737
9. Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, +1.970
10. Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, +2.057
11. Franck Montagny, Andretti Autosport, +2.587
12. Antonio Felix da Costa, Amlin Aguri, +2.604
13. Jerome d’Ambrosio, China Racing, +2.611
14. Antonio Garcia, China Racing, +2.729
15. Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, +5.269
16. Mike Conway, Dragon Racing, +5.693
17. Gil de Ferran, Andretti Autosport, +9.497
18. Scott Speed, Andretti Autosport, +10.434
19. Katherine Legge, Amlin Aguri, +12.821
20. Michela Cerruti, Trulli, No time set
Image credit: FIA Formula E