Sebastien Buemi, driving for e.dams-Renault, has yet again blasted to the top of the timesheets to wrap up Formula E’s pre-season testing in dominant form.
Buemi, who has now been fastest in four out of five pre-season test days, set a laptime of 1:31.792 to pip teammate Nicholas Prost to first position by three tenths of a second.
“We’re really happy with today, especially being the last test before Beijing”, the Swiss Formula One ace beamed. “We still have a few issues with the car which we need to work on and also to better understand the limits of the car. Overall we’re feeling good for the first race but we’ll have to wait and see, a lot of teams are also looking quick.”
Andretti Autosport’s Franck Montagny occupied the final step of the podium with a 1:32.143, ahead of Mahindra Racing’s Bruno Senna and Virgin Racing’s Sam Bird, who achieved laptimes of 1:32.249 and 1:32.292, respectively. Excitingly, the top ten runners were covered by less than a second.
Weather was a major factor during the test, on a day when teams were predominantly working on long runs and race simulations – Leicestershire’s blasting winds buffeted the cars as they completed their final test programmes, affecting their handling.
“The wind was pushing quite a lot”, Franck Montagny reflected. “But it’s the same for everyone and we can’t change it, we just have to work with it and try to find a solution.”
Set-ups and strategies varied across the grid, with some teams focusing on energy efficiency and data collection, others on maximising pace, and some electing to fine-tune their set-ups for the Beijing ePrix in three weeks’ time.
Formula Future will of course bring you the latest updates in the run-up to Formula E’s inaugural ePrix on September 13.
FULL TEST RESULTS
1. Sebastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, 1:31.792s
2. Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, 1:32.117s
3. Franck Montagny, Andretti Autosport, 1:32.143s
4. Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, 1:32.249s
5. Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, 1:32.292s
6. Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport ABT, 1:32.293s
7. Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, 1:32.369s
8. Jerome d’Ambrosio, Dragon Racing, 1:32.646s
9. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, 1:32.663s
10. Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, 1:32.775s
11. Nelson Piquet, China Racing, 1:32.808s
12. Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, 1:32.821s
13. Charles Pic, Andretti Autosport, 1:32.841s
14. Daniel Abt, Audi Sport ABT, 1:32.867s
15. Jarno Trulli, Trulli, 1:32.892s
16. Oriol Servia, Dragon Racing, 1:33.411s
17. Antonio Garcia, China Racing, 1:33.469s
18. Takuma Sato, Amlin Aguri, 1:35.425s
19. Michela Cerruti, Trulli, 1:35.444s
20. Katherine Legge, Amlin Aguri, 1:38.112s
Image credit: FIA Formula E